HOW ELECTRIC VEHICLES ARE CHANGING REPAIR WORK REQUIREMENTS
Each day, approximately 48,000 yellow school buses transport more than 25 million students to and from school in the USA and in the process consume a reported 2.3 billion gallons of fuel per year.
Maintaining Electric Buses
The good news is that school districts such as Twin Rivers recognize that zero-emission, all-electric buses present a real game-changer in pupil transportation. They run cleaner, improve public health, eliminate greenhouse gas emissions, and get this, can deliver savings of more than $10,000 per vehicle each year in reduced fuel and maintenance costs.
At Twin Rivers Unified School District (USD), currently home to the largest fleet of electric vehicle (EV) school buses in North America, the organisation operates 40 EV buses as part of a combined fleet of 125 vehicles. At the same time, Twin Rivers USD faces a unique challenge – how best to maintain a diverse fleet of combustion engine and electric power vehicles – each class with critical, yet different service and preventative maintenance (PM) requirements.
The contrasts are numerous:
- EVs require fewer brake services, as regenerative braking reduces brake component wear.
- EVs do not require routine oil changes but may require servicing for battery coolant systems.
- Undercarriage vehicle access for EVs is critical, as drive motors, batteries, and control devices are located beneath the vehicle.
- Weight distribution in EVs varies greatly to account for battery packs.
- Finally, EV construction may vary by manufacturer, with some built on standalone, purpose-built fiberglass chassis requiring special attention to lifting points.
Inspection and repair of battery packs
Noted Twin Rivers’ Vehicle Maintenance Manager Raymond Manalo, “Keeping the high voltage systems safe is vital. These vehicles require complete undercarriage access for inspection and repair of battery packs, wiring, and thermal management systems.”
SKYLIFT Platform Lift provide a "clear floor" concept
Rising to the challenge for Twin Rivers is heavy duty vehicle lift leader and industry innovator Stertil-Koni, which has a particular expertise in electrical vehicle lifting. At Twin Rivers, the powerful Stertil-Koni SKYLIFT – a superior heavy duty platform lift that uniquely provide a “clear floor” concept – has been called into action.
Read the full article